Eligible applicants are offered admission under three classifications:
- Direct Admit Business—Minimum 3.5 high school GPA; minimum (composite) score of 27 ACT or 1210 SAT math and critical reading combined score, and official high school transcript.
- General Admit Business—Minimum 3.0 high school GPA; a (composite) score of 21-27 ACT or 980-1210 SAT, and official high school transcript.
- Pre-Business and Economics Admit—Minimum 2.5 high school GPA and (composite) score of 19 ACT and 910 SAT for WV residents. A composite score of 20 ACT and 950 SAT is required for non-residents. An official high school transcript is required. These minimum requirements do not guarantee admission.
Students from other institutions with fewer than 24 semester hours will follow the same admission criteria as incoming freshmen, including test score requirements and providing official high school transcripts. Students with 25-58 semester hours on their transcript must possess a minimum overall College GPA of 2.5, and have taken college algebra, but no test score submission is required.
Students who are not eligible for admission under the preceding classifications will be admitted to the University as a General Studies major. Students who raise their overall GPA to a minimum of 2.5 may seek admission to the College.
To remain in good academic standing with the College, students must maintain an overall GPA of at least 2.0 and demonstrate progress in completing the College course prerequisites listed below.
Admission Requirements for Majors
Students apply for admission to a degree program and an academic major prior to the second semester sophomore year or at the beginning of the regular semester in which the admission criteria will be completed. The application link will be accessible during the application period, which commences at the beginning of each regular semester, on the College’s website at www.be.wvu.edu.
The requirements for admission to either the degree of Bachelor of Science in Business Administration or the degree of Bachelor of Science in Economics include the following:
- A minimum overall GPA of 2.5
- Completion of a minimum of 45 semester hours at the end of the semester in which the application is filed
- English 101 and 102 or 103 with a minimum grade of C
- Computer Science 101 with a minimum grade of C
- Accounting 201 and 202 with a minimum grade of C (Minimum grade of B for Accounting majors)
- Economics 201 and 202 with a minimum grade of C (Minimum grade of B for Finance majors, and B or better in either 201 or 202 for Economics majors)
- Economics 225 or Statistics 211 with a minimum grade of C
- Math 126, 129 or 153 with a minimum grade of C
- Math 150, 154, 155 or higher level of college calculus with a minimum grade of C. (Minimum grade of B in math 150 or a minimum grade of C in math 155 for Finance, Economics and MIS majors.)Students who successfully place into Math 150 or a higher level of college calculus and earn a minimum grade of C in the course are waived from having to complete Math 126 or Math 153.
Students who meet the aforementioned criteria are guaranteed admission to one of the two degree programs and one of the following majors. However, a competitive GPA greater than 2.5 may be required for some majors. Students will be required to force rank the academic majors on the application.
- General Business
- Management Information Systems
*All prospective students must apply for admission to West Virginia University. For information on how to apply follow the link in the sidebar or go to admissions.wvu.edu.