Eligible applicants are offered admission under three classifications:
- Direct Admission – Students with a 3.25 high school GPA; 25 ACT MATH or 570 SAT MATH, and official high school transcript are eligible for direct admission into one of our academic majors: Accounting, Economics, Finance, General Business, Hospitality and Tourism Management, Management, Management Information Systems, or Marketing
- Business – Students with a 2.50 high school GPA and 19 ACT composite or 910 SAT math and critical reading combined score (WV residents) 20 ACT composite or 950 SAT math and critical reading combined score (Non-WV residents), and official high school transcript will be admitted into the College of Business and Economics as a Business major.
- Transfer Students – Students with less than 24 credit hours will be required to submit their high school transcript and ACT or SAT scores, and will follow the same admission criteria as incoming freshmen. Students with 25-28 credit hours must have a 3.0 overall College GPA. Students with 29-58 credit hours must have a 3.0 college GPA and have completed College algebra (or its equivalent) with a minimum grade of ‘C’. Students with 59+ credit hours must have a 3.0 college GPA and be no more than one semester away from entering the upper division courses.
Students who are not eligible for admission under the preceding classifications will be admitted to the University as a General Studies major. Students who raise their overall GPA to a minimum of 2.5 may seek admission to the College.
To remain in good academic standing with the College, students must maintain an overall GPA of at least 2.0 and demonstrate progress in completing the College course prerequisites listed below.
Admission Requirements for Majors
Students must meet the following requirements in order to take upper-level courses within their declared major:
- A minimum overall GPA of 2.5
- Completion of a minimum of 45 semester hours at the end of the semester in which the application is filed
- English 101 and 102 or 103 with a minimum grade of C
- Computer Science 101 with a minimum grade of C
- Accounting 201 and 202 with a minimum grade of C (Minimum grade of B for Accounting majors)
- Economics 201 and 202 with a minimum grade of C (Minimum grade of B for Finance majors, and B or better in either 201 or 202 for Economics majors)
- Economics 225 or Statistics 211 with a minimum grade of C
- Math 126, 129 or 153 with a minimum grade of C
- Math 150, 154, 155 or higher level of college calculus with a minimum grade of C. (Minimum grade of B in math 150 or a minimum grade of C in math 155 for Finance, Economics and MIS majors.) Students who successfully place into Math 150 or a higher level of college calculus and earn a minimum grade of C in the course are waived from having to complete Math 126 or Math 153.
A competitive GPA greater than 2.5 may be required for some majors.
* These admissions requirements are effective Fall 2015 for new first-time freshmen and first-time transfer students.
* All prospective students must apply for admission to West Virginia University. For information on how to apply follow the link in the sidebar or go to admissions.wvu.edu.